The dictionary meaning of ‘auto-suggestion’ is the hypnotic or subconscious adoption of an idea which one has originated oneself. In the words of Mr. Napoleon Hill, auto-suggestion is the medium for influencing the subconscious mind.The interesting thing is that whatever thought reaches to our subconscious mind, gets manifested. Human beings are thinking beings. Knowingly or unknowingly, consciously or unconsciously, we are always thinking something and out of those multifarious thoughts, some thoughts are reaching to our subconscious mind and the same becomes our life experience.
The most interesting thing is that subconscious mind does not judge things, it does not understand humour; it does not even care for whether you want or do not want something; it just obeys your thought instructions. It simply sends signals (based upon whatever thought gets deposited in it) to the Universe and the Universe leverages people and circumstances to manifest the idea you have conceived.
So, when you feel fearful and think repeatedly, ‘I may forget to bring that to office tomorrow’ / ‘I should not get late for the meeting’…. You are actually giving a negative suggestion to your subconscious and what happens, you actually forget the thing or get late for the meeting. We all have such experiences in life.
Recognize that the negative thought that you are thinking is just a thought and not the apparent reality. But as result of thinking that over and over again, you get worried or feel nervous. You just need to be aware of your thoughts and feelings. Next time when you feel nervous or fearful about anything, stop for moment; think objectively, do you actually want the thing you are thinking to get manifested. If the answer is ‘No’, immediately change your thought, just reverse it. And make it a positive one. Start feeling happy and hopeful about the thing that you want in your life. Feel as if the positive thing is happening at present. Your subconscious will send positive signal to the Universe and sooner or later, the newly conceived positive idea will manifest itself before you.
There are three essential elements of affirmative auto-suggestion. For the ease of remembering, the three essential elements can be called 3 P’s of affirmative auto-suggestion.
- Personal – You cannot affirm for others. You can affirm and feel for yourself. So, your affirmation should be personal. For example, ‘I like myself’ or ‘I always achieve my goals easily and effortlessly’.
- Positive – Your affirmation should be a positive one. It should not contain any instruction in negative because the subconscious mind just obeys your thought instructions. For example, if you do not want to get late for a meeting, you should NOT affirm ‘I do not want to be late for the meeting’. Instead, you should affirm, ‘I always reach in time’. Another example – if you want to quit your habit of smoking or drinking alcohol; you should NOT think ‘I do not smoke / drink any more’. Instead, you should affirm “I am a non-smoker / non-alcoholic’.
- Present – Your affirmation should always be in the present tense so that you get your results in present and not in the future. The more you affirm in future tense, the more you delay the process of actualization. For example, instead of saying ‘I will earn this much money in the next year’ affirm ‘I earn this much money every year.’ An MBA/CA aspirant should affirm ‘I am an MBA/CA’ instead of thinking ‘I will become an MBA/CA’.
For best results, do affirm at least twice a day – just before retiring to bed at night and immediately after waking up in the morning. And while affirming, feel the feelings of already being or doing or having what you have chosen to achieve.
I am sharing a few affirmations for your reference –
- I love my body fully, deeply and joyfully and as I love myself, I allow others to love me too.
- I release my fear and hesitation and I move forward confidently with unwavering belief in myself.
- I am grateful for everything I have been blessed with and with each breath, I thank the universe.
- Every day and every way I am moving closer to achieving the purpose of my life.
- I am at peace with the world around me and the world is at peace with me.
- I always work with the most supportive colleagues.
- I forgive myself and I forgive others.
You can make your own affirmations based on your desires. And as you frame and practice your affirmations every day, you will find that your new thoughts create your new belief system and consequently you enjoy a new reality. You can apply it on anything, from the smallest to the biggest goals in your life.
For example, this can be applied even to an existing situation in office or home that is making you feel angry or frustrated. In such cases, you can affirm as – “I forgive myself for getting angry … I forgive myself completely. I forgive _______ (name the person on whose actions you’ve got angry) completely. Everything is alright in my world. The work is accomplished with divine perfection.” While affirming feel the feeling of forgiveness and allow the universe to take of the things. And then allow yourself to receive, acknowledge and appreciate the new ways of doing things. Then see the miracle happening in your life.
I wish you an abundant and prosperous life!!