Paneer tikka is an Indian dish made from chunks of paneer marinated in spices and grilled in a tandoor/oven. It can be treated as an alternative vegetarian dish to chicken tikka.
Ingredients for Paneer Tikka:
- 50 gms cottage cheese or paneer
For the marinade
- 1/4th cup hung yoghurt
- 2 tbspns. gram floor
- 2 tbspns. garlic paste
- 1 tbspns. ginger paste
- 1 tbspns. turmeric powder
- 1 tbspns. red chilli powder
- ½ tbspns. cumin powder
- ½ tbspns. mace powder
- 1/4th cup mint leaves
- 4 tbspns. lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbspns. salt
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tbspn. oil
- 1/4th cup unsalted butter (melted)
Method to prepare Paneer Tikka
- Cut cottage cheese into 12 equal cubes, and set aside in a bowl.
- Combine all marinated ingredients (except the oil and melted butter) and blend well, adding the cream towards the end, to prevent it from curdling.
- Marinate the cheese cubes with the marinade in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- To grill the paneer cubes, preheat the CRISP plate using the CRISP mode for 3 minutes.
- Drizzle the oil on the CRISP plate.
- Drain away all the excess marinade from the paneer cubes and place on top of the plate and cook for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Turn the sides of the paneer to ensure even browning and cook for another 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Baste the paneer with the melted butter.
- Serve paneer tikka hot with Indian breads and chutneys.
What is Paneer?
Paneer is prepared by adding food acid, such as lemon juice, vinegar, citric acid or yogurt, to hot milk to separate the curds from the whey. The curds are drained in muslin or cheesecloth and the excess water is pressed out. Paneer is a type of cheese – also known as cottage cheese. Paneer is an important part of Indian cuisine and is specially loved in the Northern parts of India.
You can check out the following video of preparing paneer tikka using an oven.
Paneer Tikka Recipe Video
Paneer Tikka preparation from guru’s cooking.
Sources: Internet, guru’s cooking.